[PC-BSD Testing] no boot loader?

Tigersharke . tigersharke at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 01:59:39 PDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Ken Moore <ken at pcbsd.org> wrote:

> On 09/13/11 17:14, Sha'ul wrote:
>
>> Was selecting the boot loader for installation taken out for installing
>> along side other OSes? I want to use the boot loader because I also have
>> OpenBSD installed. Is it only full disk installations now?
>>
>>  The option for installing the PCBSD bootloader was removed from 9.0
> because it interfered with currently installed boot loaders (such as
> EasyBCD, GAG, and the windows bootloader) and required some additional
> "magic" to reset your bootloaders after installing PCBSD. However, this does
> -NOT- mean that PCBSD is only for full-disk installations, you can still
> dual (or more) boot with PCBSD by installing into a specific primary
> partition. You will simply need to modify your existing boot loader to
> include PCBSD afterwords.
>
> If you do not have a bootloader (or simply want to use a different one), I
> recommend GAG because it is simple and easy to use, but there are many
> others that also work without any problems.

I would like to know whether it is possible to use the FreeBSD bootloader,
if I installed it as my personal choice of a bootloader.  I might also need
to know how, at least in general terms.

In addition to that, I would like to know how/why/where the FreeBSD
bootloader that was installed with v8.2 which remained after an install of
v9.0beta1.0 on a second partition, disappeared after installing v9.0beta2.0
on the first partition while the second partition was a fresh install of
v8.2? And when I say 'partition' I mean in the sense of it being created
outside of BSD and would be recognized by Windows.

I can certainly explain better if necessary, since I tend to be terse.

Thanks!