[PC-BSD Testing] 9.0 b2, KDE (flash), GNOME (shortcuts)

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Wed Sep 14 10:10:27 PDT 2011

-snip-

>>     >
>>     > 2) GNOME.
>>     >
>>     > I installed many PBIs with success, then deleted some shortcuts
>>     from
>>     > desktop in order to use GNOME-menu. Alas, they were absent in
>>     menu :(
>>     > After moving from trash to desktop, the shortcuts had not been
>>     restored
>>     > up to operable state.
>>     >
>>     >
>>     > Best regards
>>     > Serghey

As to this error, I just installed the GNOME desktop to test it. I found
that installing PBI's via the AppCafe worked flawlessly, with both
desktop icon and menu icon in the appropriate place and functional. What
PBI did you install that did not have a menu icon, but did have a
desktop icon? I ask this because some programs do not have either Menu
or Desktop icons, but if there is a desktop icon there should be a
corresponding menu entry as well. If there is one but not the other, let
me know and I can fix that for the PBI.

Trashing desktop icons:
I found that GNOME was unable to restore the desktop icon after trashing
with the error: "Could not determine original location of '(desktop
entry)'  ".
However, by dragging the icon from the trash back to the desktop and
running it, I was given the warning that is was an untrusted application
and choices to launch anyway, Mark as trusted, or cancel. By launching
anyway, the program started without a problem. Marking it as trusted
simply returned the icon to its original look on the desktop, and it
started normally when running it after that.

Instead of dragging the desktop icon from the trash back to the desktop,
I also tried re-installing the desktop icon by right clicking on the
application in the AppCafe and selecting "Install Desktop Icons". This
replaced the icon on the desktop without a problem and the icon worked
just fine as well.

So in other words, I was unable to duplicate your error with the GNOME
desktop and the desktop icons/menu entries. If you have some additional
information to try and nail down when this error happened, I will try to
reproduce/fix it here.

Thanks for the report!

--
~~ Ken Moore ~~