[PC-BSD Testing] updating process and installed packages

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Fri Sep 2 05:08:37 PDT 2011

On 09/02/11 03:26, Yuri Momotiuk wrote:
> Hello
>
> During update process all installed packages are removed. So after
> update to BETA 1.5 I miss qt creator and yakuake-qt4 packages that was
> installed before from ports/packages.
> Is it possible to keep previous installed packages?
>
> --
> Best regards, Yuri Momotyuk

I am afraid not.
When the system is updating, it will be redo all of the system
ports/packages which means that it will also wipe any custom installed
ports/packages. The main places that are not touched by the system
update are the /home directory, the port jails, and any PBI's you have
installed. So it would be a good idea to install any ports you would
like to keep in the jails, then they should remain from update to update.

BTW, I believe the 9.x PBI for QtCreator was released recently, so if
you install it that way, it should also remain after upgrades. The
Yakuake PBI has not built yet, but we are getting there slowly but
surely. (400+ PBI's for two different architectures takes a while to
build.....  :-)

--
~~ Ken Moore ~~
(ken at pcbsd.org)