[PC-BSD Testing] New install RC1 Caution!

Ian McNulty ian-mcnulty at o2.co.uk
Thu Oct 27 04:00:41 PDT 2011

I think I have resolved the issue here, but it could cause problems in
future for the unwary.

At the partitioning screen, I selected the appropriate drive and freebsd
slice to do a fresh install. Here you have the option of basic or
advanced layout. I chose advanced as I knew the basic layout would
allocate too much swap for my needs.

When you click advanced, no layout is shown, but there is an option to
select default layout. I assumed this would return the same setting as a
basic layout and then to then shrink swap and expand /usr to my liking.
However, /usr allocates the remaining drive space, not the remainder of
the slice in this scenario, thus wiping the entire drive.

I guess you might think I should have noticed the size of /usr, but when
it is shown in bites, it is easy to miss a decimal place with a 500 mb
drive and plough on regardless.

On the positive side; thank heavens for back-ups. On the negative side;
that windows system has gone from the laptop forever. I've been meaning
to make better use of that space anyway!

Thanks to all involved here

Ian