[PC-BSD Testing] AppCafe flaw?

Tigersharke . tigersharke at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 22:44:37 PDT 2011

Hello..

My AMD64 system began with 'tigersharke' and 'root' accounts, and I have
installed a number of PBI files (including Firefox 7), then days ago was
updated from v9.0beta3 to rc1. I have just added a new user 'robocop' with
the User Manager control panel. User 'robocop' accesses my system from
another (remote) pc via *ssh +X* and has never logged-in directly on my
system.

When I access the robocop account, there is no bin directory created for it,
and therefore no links to any installed PBI files.  When I access AppCafe
remotely with robocop, it lists all of the installed PBI files.  If I then
install a PBI as robocop, it creates the bin directory and the link to the
single PBI just installed.

Flaw/Feature:

AppCafe displays all PBI files that are installed, however-
PBI files installed by User A are not configured available for User B and
vice versa.
Meaning that the /home/username/bin directory per user only contains links
to PBI files that user installed, and not links to all installed PBI files.

Suggestion:

Running AppCafe should update links (to all installed PBI files) in the bin
directory of the user initiating AppCafe.

A future option might control access/visibility of installed PBI files.

Thanks for your time and effort!