[PC-BSD Testing] Install Failure on ACER AspireOne D255

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Oct 24 14:48:21 PDT 2011

On 10/24/11 17:42, Mike Barnard wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 6 October 2011 11:10, Mike Barnard <mike.barnardq at gmail.com
> <mailto:mike.barnardq at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 6 October 2011 09:26, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org
>     <mailto:kris at pcbsd.org>> wrote:
>
>         On 10/05/11 11:51, Mike Barnard wrote:
>>         Hi,
>>
>>         I have been trying to install PC-BSD 9.0-BETA2 on an ACER
>>         AspireOne D255. I am using PCBSD9.0-BETA2-x86-USBFULL.img. I
>>         wrote it to my USB stick
>>         using win32diskimager-RELEASE-0.3-r27. UNETBootin did not
>>         work for me with the USB image, could not boot from USB stick
>>         after it wrote image.
>>
>>         In the default install mode, after trying to start X, I get a
>>         black screen and nothing responds, ALT+CTRL+DEL does get it
>>         to reboot, but I cannot do anything else, all terminals give
>>         me a black screen.
>>
>>         When I boot in VESA mode, I do get to the install screen, I
>>         select my region, keyboard setting and Installation media,
>>         when I click next, i am dropped into a shell with the error:
>>
>>         File system full, press any key to drop to a shell prompt and
>>         reboot.
>>
>>         Ant thoughts on how to resolve this?
>>

>         Sounds like the installer is crashing and writing a .core file
>         which fills up the memory file-system. Any particular options
>         are you selecting out of the ordinary which cause this to be
>         reproducible?
>

>     Nothing out of the ordinary, if anything, I leave all the defaults
>     on. Although it does this when I select VESA, when I boot default,
>     I get a black screen on all terminals and I can only force a reboot.
>
>     I am going to try this with verbose logging and post anything out
>     of the ordinary (hoping I do not end up with a blacked terminals).
>     The other alternative is to download BETA-3 and see if that works.
>

> This is still not biting with PC-BSD 9 BETA-3. I end up with the same
> problem. The default install option gives me a black screen and cannot
> proceed from there. If I boot in VESA mode, I am able to get the
> installation screen which gives me this error after selecting
> installation media
>
> /: write failed, filesystem is full Oct 24 17:00:05 pcbsd kernel: pid
> 1807 (pc-sysinstaller), uid 0 inumber 312 on /: file system full
> Oct 24 17:00:05 pcbsd kernel: failed to write core file for process
> pc-sysinstall (error 28) Installation failed! Press any key to drop to
> shell or type 'reboot to restart the system.
>
> When I drop to shell, I realise that there is a CORE file that has
> been dumped (pc-sysinstaller.core). This is what is consuming the
> space. If I delete this and run sh PCBSDtext.sh and start the
> installation again, I end up with a core dump of sysinstaller again.
>
> Any ideas on this? I am tempted not to move forward to RC1 since
> BETA-2 and BETA-3 have both given me the same failure.
>
> PS: I am using a ACER netbook; ACER Aspire One D255 with an N450
> processor and 1GB RAM

> [...]

The core dump is interesting, sounds like some bad values are getting
passed to it. Do this, at the boot splash screen, choose the option for
emergency console, which takes to you a CLI mode. From there, go to
utilities -> shell prompt. Can you send me the output of these commands:

# pc-sysinstall sys-mem
# pc-sysinstall detect-nics
# pc-sysinstall disk-list

And

# gpart list

Something from the output of one of those is causing the core dump.