[PC-BSD Testing] Install Failure on ACER AspireOne D255

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 14:42:20 PDT 2011

Hi

On 6 October 2011 11:10, Mike Barnard <mike.barnardq at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 October 2011 09:26, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:
>
>>  On 10/05/11 11:51, Mike Barnard wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>  I have been trying to install PC-BSD 9.0-BETA2 on an ACER AspireOne
>> D255. I am using PCBSD9.0-BETA2-x86-USBFULL.img. I wrote it to my USB stick
>> using win32diskimager-RELEASE-0.3-r27. UNETBootin did not work for me with
>> the USB image, could not boot from USB stick after it wrote image.
>>
>>  In the default install mode, after trying to start X, I get a black
>> screen and nothing responds, ALT+CTRL+DEL does get it to reboot, but I
>> cannot do anything else, all terminals give me a black screen.
>>
>>  When I boot in VESA mode, I do get to the install screen, I select my
>> region, keyboard setting and Installation media, when I click next, i am
>> dropped into a shell with the error:
>>
>>  File system full, press any key to drop to a shell prompt and reboot.
>>
>>  Ant thoughts on how to resolve this?
>>

>> Sounds like the installer is crashing and writing a .core file which fills
>> up the memory file-system. Any particular options are you selecting out of
>> the ordinary which cause this to be reproducible?
>>

> Nothing out of the ordinary, if anything, I leave all the defaults on.
> Although it does this when I select VESA, when I boot default, I get a black
> screen on all terminals and I can only force a reboot.
>
> I am going to try this with verbose logging and post anything out of the
> ordinary (hoping I do not end up with a blacked terminals). The other
> alternative is to download BETA-3 and see if that works.

This is still not biting with PC-BSD 9 BETA-3. I end up with the same
problem. The default install option gives me a black screen and cannot
proceed from there. If I boot in VESA mode, I am able to get the
installation screen which gives me this error after selecting installation
media

/: write failed, filesystem is full Oct 24 17:00:05 pcbsd kernel: pid 1807
(pc-sysinstaller), uid 0 inumber 312 on /: file system full
Oct 24 17:00:05 pcbsd kernel: failed to write core file for process
pc-sysinstall (error 28) Installation failed! Press any key to drop to shell
or type 'reboot to restart the system.

When I drop to shell, I realise that there is a CORE file that has been
dumped (pc-sysinstaller.core). This is what is consuming the space. If I
delete this and run sh PCBSDtext.sh and start the installation again, I end
up with a core dump of sysinstaller again.

Any ideas on this? I am tempted not to move forward to RC1 since BETA-2 and
BETA-3 have both given me the same failure.

PS: I am using a ACER netbook; ACER Aspire One D255 with an N450 processor
and 1GB RAM

Regards,

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in a
million chances happen 99% of the time.