[PC-BSD Testing] 9.0-BETA3 installer issues

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Sat Oct 22 15:04:10 PDT 2011

Hi,

I don't know if these have already been reported, but I found the
following issues while installing 9.0-BETA3:

Some issues with TimeZone selection. Truncated strings (maybe only an
issue with English_(UK)?) :
"America/Nipigon Eastern Time - Ontario & Quebec - places that did"
"America/Blanc-Sablon:Atlantic Standard Time - Quebec - Lower Nort"
"America/Glace_Bay:Atlantic Time - Nova Scotia - places that did n"

Is the word "Island" missing in "Indian/Christmas"?

Text can be rather difficult to read in places due to the colour scheme.
Initially my disk apparently had an old GPT scheme that GEOM found and
selected, but I had been using Windows with an MBR layout with both
Windows 7 and Windows Server 8 DP on it. It would be really nice if a
warning was produced!
When I removed the GPT scheme and rebooted, the Basic mode partitioning
tool failed to create slices with the error "The slice creation failed
with the following message:" - I needed to run "gpart create -s mbr
ada0" in a terminal first. Does the installer cope with blank disks?

The "Development-QT" package has a tooltip containing "QT libraries" -
it should be "Qt libraries" with a lowercase 't'.
The "GNOME" package contains a description "The Gnome2 Desktop" - should
be GNOME2 (GNOME is an acronym). This occurs in several places.

The user's Full Name field in the installer appears unlimited, but I
know that KDE etc. fails badly if you enter more than 512 or so
characters. Not an everyday problem, but might be nice to limit it.

Might want to consider adding syslogd_flags="-ss" to rc.conf to avoid
having syslogd listening on the network.
/boot/loader.conf contains a typo: "show keystokes..."

--
Bruce Cran