[PC-BSD Testing] monster masher doesn't start

Tigersharke . tigersharke at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 19:28:28 PDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Eitan Adler <lists at eitanadler.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Tigersharke . <tigersharke at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I have all of the primary Desktops/WMs (Gnome, KDE, LXDE, XFCE, Fluxbox,
> and
> > somehow also OpenBox) installed. Currently using KDE and the environment
> > used to install and attempt to run it.  The Monster-Masher PBI was
> installed
> > via AppCafe.
> >
> > [tigersharke at Mutant] ~> locale
> > LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> Try setting all of those to "C" in your environment and restarting the
> port from the shell. If that works we have at least isolated the
> cause.
> Also, please CC me on replies. It seems this mailing list is broken
> and force-sets the reply-to header (which I did not set).
> --
> Eitan Adler
> _______________________________________________
> Testing mailing list
> Testing at lists.pcbsd.org
> http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/testing

I realize now that the login (and User selection) screen is where the
environment variables were changed. When I switched 'language' from
"Unspecified [US-ASCII]" to "English (United States)".  I verified this via
the output of locale in the shell after each. I did not make any change to
'Keyboard' on the login screen.

Monster-Masher *does* work when set to "C" (aka 'Unspecified [US-ASCII]').

A side note: I just noticed that firefox 7.x PBI throws a similar error
(when not set to "C") but is more graceful about it:

[tigersharke at Mutant] ~> firefox &
[1] 74829
[tigersharke at Mutant] ~>

(process:74876): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
             Using the fallback 'C' locale.
[tigersharke at Mutant] ~>

Thanks for your time and effort..
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.pcbsd.org/pipermail/testing/attachments/20111013/693f1286/attachment.html>

More information about the Testing mailing list