[PC-BSD Testing] Install Failure on ACER AspireOne D255

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 01:10:51 PDT 2011

On 6 October 2011 09:26, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:

>  On 10/05/11 11:51, Mike Barnard wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>  I have been trying to install PC-BSD 9.0-BETA2 on an ACER AspireOne D255.
> I am using PCBSD9.0-BETA2-x86-USBFULL.img. I wrote it to my USB stick
> using win32diskimager-RELEASE-0.3-r27. UNETBootin did not work for me with
> the USB image, could not boot from USB stick after it wrote image.
>
>  In the default install mode, after trying to start X, I get a black
> screen and nothing responds, ALT+CTRL+DEL does get it to reboot, but I
> cannot do anything else, all terminals give me a black screen.
>
>  When I boot in VESA mode, I do get to the install screen, I select my
> region, keyboard setting and Installation media, when I click next, i am
> dropped into a shell with the error:
>
>  File system full, press any key to drop to a shell prompt and reboot.
>
>  Ant thoughts on how to resolve this?
>

> Sounds like the installer is crashing and writing a .core file which fills
> up the memory file-system. Any particular options are you selecting out of
> the ordinary which cause this to be reproducible?

Nothing out of the ordinary, if anything, I leave all the defaults on.
Although it does this when I select VESA, when I boot default, I get a black
screen on all terminals and I can only force a reboot.

I am going to try this with verbose logging and post anything out of the
ordinary (hoping I do not end up with a blacked terminals). The other
alternative is to download BETA-3 and see if that works.

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in a
million chances happen 99% of the time.