[PC-BSD Testing] several problems

Lars Engels lars.engels at 0x20.net
Wed Nov 16 04:53:56 PST 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 04:14:54PM -0600, Arthur Koziol wrote:
> On 11/15/2011 9:30 AM, Ken Moore wrote:
> > On 11/15/11 08:53, Sebastian Rehne wrote:

[...]

> >> 1) My headphones didn't work:
> >> The headphone-connector didn't work: When connecting my headphones
> >> to the notebook, the music still sounds out of the speakers.
> >> My colleague Lars Engels, who is member of the freebsd-team,
> >> has already helped me with that issue:
> >> Adding
> >>
> >> hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid20.config="as=1 seq=15"
> >> hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid21.config="as=1 seq=0"
> >>
> >> in device.hints routes the bass directly to the ear.
> >> Maybe you find a way to solve that issue during the installation.

I started to write a script to help auto-configuring snd_hda devices.
ATM it's pre-alpha and only works for one soundcard, but mav@ gave me
some hints how to handle more complex setups. Stay tuned for more
Rock 'n' Roll...

[...]

> >> 3) CPU0: local APIC error 0x40
> >> dmesg shows the above error-message frequently.
> >> I found an advice in the freebsd-forum, to set
> >>
> >> 'hint.apic.0.disabled' in /boot/device.hints
> >>
> >> But that didn't help me.
> >> I assume that this error might be the reason for some
> >> other "application-crashes" i have to deal with. For example
> >> the submarine-game downdeep crashes just before
> >> i shot the first tropedo. Also xbmc crashes "very constantly"
> >> after a few minutes. Switching to an other tty, i can see that
> >> the cpu-message appears multiple times in messages. Just
> >> a reboot brings me back to a working x-environment.

As you're using "intel-3d" driver. Please change that to "intel" in the
display setup wizard. I encountered severe problems with 3D usage and
the Intel driver.
IMHO "intel-3d" should no longer be the default driver for new
installations. It used to work rock-solid a long time ago for me, but
with newer versions of Xorg and intel drivers it became more and more
unstable.

> >> 4) LibreOffice Writer crashes:
> >> When i try to chang the font, the writer immediately crashes:
> >> pid 32347 (soffice.bin), uid 1001: exited on signal 11
> >> Changing the font in the other libre-applications works.
> >> If it is helpful for troubleshooting i could
> >> start the application with truss next time.
> >>
> > I am seeing this same error with LibreOffice as well, and it appears to
> > be a problem with the program/port itself. You should contact the port
> > maintainer (office at freebsd.org I think?) with any additional information
> > you can provide about this error.
> >

> Possibly fixed in 3.4.4?

This was an issue with the icu port. The port was updated meanwhile and
a new version of Libreoffice linked against the new icu version should
work fine.