[PC-BSD Testing] several problems

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Tue Nov 15 07:30:36 PST 2011

On 11/15/11 08:53, Sebastian Rehne wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> At first: thank you for the pbi-innovation.
> Installing pbi's with one click instead of worrying about
> the dependency-issues just makes fun ... and is a great
> security improvement, no doubt.
>
> Last week i have installed PC-BSD 9.0 on my acer notebook
> and i am faced with several problems you might can help me with.
>
> 1) My headphones didn't work:
> The headphone-connector didn't work: When connecting my headphones
> to the notebook, the music still sounds out of the speakers.
> My colleague Lars Engels, who is member of the freebsd-team,
> has already helped me with that issue:
> Adding
>
> hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid20.config="as=1 seq=15"
> hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid21.config="as=1 seq=0"
>
> in device.hints routes the bass directly to the ear.
> Maybe you find a way to solve that issue during the installation.
>

> 2) Also in the category "sound":
> "clementine" does not play my music (regardless of the style
> of music): Error message says, that the gstreamer plugin is missing.
> The message pop up when i click on one of my albums in the left
> panel of the application. Internetradio works.
> The celemtine feature "all glory to hypnotaud" is no
> longer funny, when the application crashes and only
> a reboot can stop the noise.

How did you install Clementine? I just installed it via the AppCafe a
moment ago and it played music without any problems at all.

> Something likewise mysterious as "hypnotaud":
> Manualy installing amarok with pbimaker was successful and
> i startet the application succesfully once from my desktop.
> But then the binary file mystical "is missing" and can't neither
> be found in /usr/local/bin nor in home/sebastian/bin/amarok-9/.
> I get no results with "find . -name amarok" or "find . name amarok-0".
> This happend after switching from xfce to kde and back.
PBI's that have been installed have their main binaries located at:
/usr/pbi/(program-name-arch)/.sbin
Links to these binaries should be located in the (home-dir)/bin folder
as well.
Amarok is so integrated with KDE now that we stopped creating a PBI for
it simply because it does not work without installing all of KDE to run
it. As such, we simply included it with the KDE multimedia system
package if you would like to use it.

> 3) CPU0: local APIC error 0x40
> dmesg shows the above error-message frequently.
> I found an advice in the freebsd-forum, to set
>
> 'hint.apic.0.disabled' in /boot/device.hints
>
> But that didn't help me.
> I assume that this error might be the reason for some
> other "application-crashes" i have to deal with. For example
> the submarine-game downdeep crashes just before
> i shot the first tropedo. Also xbmc crashes "very constantly"
> after a few minutes. Switching to an other tty, i can see that
> the cpu-message appears multiple times in messages. Just
> a reboot brings me back to a working x-environment.
>
> 4) LibreOffice Writer crashes:
> When i try to chang the font, the writer immediately crashes:
> pid 32347 (soffice.bin), uid 1001: exited on signal 11
> Changing the font in the other libre-applications works.
> If it is helpful for troubleshooting i could
> start the application with truss next time.
I am seeing this same error with LibreOffice as well, and it appears to
be a problem with the program/port itself. You should contact the port
maintainer (office at freebsd.org I think?) with any additional information
you can provide about this error.

> 5) Scanning doesn't work:
> I have installed the xsane-pbi, but i can't start the application:
> [sebastian at pcbsd-4328 /usr/home/sebastian/bin]$ ./xsane
> Shared object "libcam.so.5" not found, required by "xsane"
> [sebastian at pcbsd-4328 /usr/home/sebastian/bin]$
>
> 6) I can't configure the printer:
> Printer: LaserJet 1022
> I didn't found a appropiate driver, generic etc. didn't work.
>
> 7) virtual box:
> Last but not least: i was not able to install a working virtualbox.
> If i understand it correctly, the "system-panel" just contains the
> additions for pc-bsd as guest in a virtualbox but not the virtualbox
> itself. But neither with installed additions or without, creating
> a virtualbox from ports fail with the following messages:
>
> kBuild: Packing /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose/work/VirtualBox-4.0.12_OSE/out/freebsd.x86/release/bin/vboxkeyboard.tar.bz2
> rm /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose/work/VirtualBox-4.0.12_OSE/out/freebsd.x86/release/obj/pcnet32.rom.rt1.bin /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose/work/VirtualBox-4.0.12_OSE/out/freebsd.x86/release/obj/pcnet32.rom.rt2.zbin /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose/work/VirtualBox-4.0.12_OSE/out/freebsd.x86/release/obj/pcnet32.rom.rt2.bin
> ===>  Installing for virtualbox-ose-4.0.12
>
> ===>  virtualbox-ose-4.0.12 conflicts with installed package(s):
>       virtualbox-ose-additions-4.0.12
>
>       They install files into the same place.
>       Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose.
> [root at pcbsd-4328] /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose# pkg_info |grep virtual
> gvfs-1.6.6_1        GNOME virtual file system
> qt4-qvfb-4.7.3      Qt virtual framebuffer utility
> thunar-vfs-1.2.0_1  The virtual filesystem for Thunar
> virtualbox-ose-additions-4.0.12 VirtualBox additions for FreeBSD guests
It appears that you are building virtualbox into the base system,
resulting in the conflicts. I would recommend using either the
VirtualBox PBI (I use it without any issues) or build virtualbox in a
port jail as it will prevent issues like this and also prevent you from
(possibly) corrupting your base system and causing a chain reaction
throughout the rest of PC-BSD.

> It seems to me, that removing the check in the "system-panel" does not
> remove the software from the system. A similar experience a have made
> with kde, which is still on my system, althought it is "removed" in the
> gui.

Just to make sure, you did click the "Apply changes" button after
unchecking the system packages you did not want?

> Thanks to anybody, who has the patience to read so far.
> I'am thankful for every helping advice.
>
> Sebastian

~ Ken Moore ~
PCBSD/iXsystems