[PC-BSD Testing] v9.0 PBI (or Update) sharing..

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Nov 9 05:51:17 PST 2011

On 11/08/2011 02:17, Tigersharke . wrote:
> Hello!
>
> This was recently mentioned on irc, and I am wondering how it would be
> done, and whether it can be easily facilitated without a great deal of
> setup on the users' part.
>
> Supposing there are two (or more) friends who each have their own PC
> and use PC-BSD v9.0 but their internet connections are quite slow.
> Therefore, when one friend obtains a cool PBI or updates his system,
> they would like to be able to share the precious downloads among
> themselves.
>
> With v8.2 PBI, each was a large self-contained file, and would be
> easily shared as long as each system was the same architecture.
>
> When a v9.0 PBI is installed (via AppCafe) it seems to download and
> disperse within the system and not leave any solid file that could be
> transferred. Other considerations are that each system may be unique
> and have differing dependencies.
>
> What I propose is something of an ad hoc repository- to allow the
> sharing, among like machines, of installed PBI software.. with any of
> this group of machines acting as the ad hoc repo. Of course, if there
> is a simple way of doing this already, the method can be documented..
>
> In a similar vein, it would be helpful in the poor bandwidth situation
> described, to be able to share periodic system updates, such as beta3
> to rc1.
>
> Thank you for your time!

I'm not so sure how to do the system updates, aside from running a local
mirror, but with PBI's its easy to share with the "pbi_create -b
<pbiname>" command. The -b flag will take an already installed PBI, and
convert it back to a .pbi file, so you can distribute it. (Note the new
PBI file will NOT be digitally signed for obvious reasons)