[PC-BSD Testing] Speech Recognition

Dru Lavigne dru.lavigne at att.net
Tue Nov 8 12:48:17 PST 2011

> I thought I would write in and ask if any one uses speech
> recognition
> software.  My mother wants to use the computer but
> would rather use
> her voice to do it.  I know that I can use wine but
> that seems to have
> some problems and do not want her to have these
> issues.  I do not know
> if any of you use this type of software or not.  I
> just wanted to see
> what your luck has been using this with pcbsd.

The KDE accessibility package provides built-in text-to-speech. I see it has changed names since I last played with it when writing the Definitive Guide:

http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Text-To-Speech

It requires you to configure espeak, festival, or flite (all of which are available in ports) and there was a knob for that somewhere in System Settings. If someone has the time to experiment and get it to work, let us know so we can add an Accessibility section to the PC-BSD Guide.

For GNOME, there is orca which has a FreeBSD port:

http://live.gnome.org/Orca

Cheers,

Dru