[PC-BSD Testing] Speech Recognition

Tigersharke . tigersharke at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 22:54:00 PST 2011

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 9:19 PM, Eldes Varassi <eldesvarassi at gmail.com>wrote:

> In *FreeBSD* ports is not.
>
> *You can try *
> http://www.voxforge.org/

> Kind regards,
> *Eldes L. Varassi*
> Internet Marketer *&* Publisher
> http://www.eldes.com.ar
>

> 2011/11/8 jmdennis @dslextreme.com <jmdennis at dslextreme.com>
>
> I thought I would write in and ask if any one uses speech recognition
>> software.  My mother wants to use the computer but would rather use
>> her voice to do it.  I know that I can use wine but that seems to have
>> some problems and do not want her to have these issues.  I do not know
>> if any of you use this type of software or not.  I just wanted to see
>> what your luck has been using this with pcbsd.

Hello!

Currently there are two FreeBSD ports for speech recognition as listed on
the voxforge site, Sphinx and Julius. They are not yet available in PBI
form, however, building/installing via the ports tree is relatively easy,
automated, or adding a prebuilt package is possible as well.

What I tend to do, is visit freshports.org to locate what I need, then
copy/paste the instruction to the commandline. The sphinx program comes in
a few formats so the link lists 'sphinx' matches, Julius is the actual link:

http://www.freshports.org/search.php?query=sphinx&search=go&num=4

http://www.freshports.org/audio/julius/

Good Luck!