[PC-BSD Testing] RC1 - laptops : SUDO + SUSPEND + SHUTDOWN

Tigersharke . tigersharke at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 22:20:44 PDT 2011

2011/11/2 Silvio - Banzai ° <silvio.taverna at banzai.it>

> On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 16:00:52 +0100, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:
>
> hi kris, thanx for the response ...
>

>  On 11/02/2011 04:48, Silvio - Banzai ° wrote:
>>

>>>  moreover, on those same systems, even though the suspend action is not
>>> enabled in any of the power profiles, and the selected action for lid
>>> closed is to turn the screen off, upon opening of the lid a system
>>> suspend is triggered none the less, freezing the machine.
>>>
>> This is in KDE correct? my other systems here don't try to suspend when
>> I close the screen...
>>

> neither do mine ... the go on suspend upon *reopening* the lid, that's the
> strangest part of it ...

Hi..

This is just a thought.. Two things:

   1. Any chance that somehow the sensor for open/close is somehow
   physically "twisted" (not likely)
   2. With the lid open and system running 'normal' can you tell it to
   suspend? After this, does closing and reopening the lid still do the same
   backward effect?

My thought, as someone unaware of the actual code involved, is that somehow
the status got flipped, and it either is not resetting or for whatever
reason is now stuck in this inaccurate situation. Ie, suppose a boolean set
due to action of the lid is supposed to be true when closed and false when
open but by some odd mistake, it is either treated backward after the
initial iteration or gets initialized/reset wrong somehow.  And the
physical action of the lid only causes the state to flip, as if each action
is +1 and the state is understood as even or odd. The software is out of
touch with the reality of the hardware.

Oh is there anything in the BIOS  relating to 'suspend action'?

Does disabling DPMS or ACPI make a difference?

And i now realize I have latched onto the backwardness more than the fact
of an unwanted "feature".

Perhaps my comments may help others figure this out.