[PC-BSD Testing] RC1 - laptops : SUDO + SUSPEND + SHUTDOWN

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Nov 2 08:00:52 PDT 2011

On 11/02/2011 04:48, Silvio - Banzai ° wrote:

> Hi there,
> reporting a very strange behavior occurring with RC1, on various
> different laptops [Toshiba Satellite Pro A300, Acer Aspire 5742G] :
> sudo asks for *root* password to execute a command, instead of user's
> password ... don't think it has anything to do with hardware issue,
> but just reporting the incident environment ...

That is correct and by design. If you want to change it to use the user
password you are welcome to modify sudoers.

> moreover, on those same systems, even though the suspend action is not
> enabled in any of the power profiles, and the selected action for lid
> closed is to turn the screen off, upon opening of the lid a system
> suspend is triggered none the less, freezing the machine.
This is in KDE correct? my other systems here don't try to suspend when
I close the screen...

> third, none of the entries of the 'leave' startup menu actually work,
> whether the action is forced by a second click or the countdown is
> left to expire, in the end nothing happens and from that moment on the
> 'leave' menu does not pop up any more command window ...

> am i just missing something here ? can all of these issues connected
> somehow, maybe a hardware/acpi problem or what ?

I'm thinking its something along those lines. I'm not sure where to fix
/ disable those options in KDE at the moment. Maybe HAL?

> on the 'eyecandy' side, on both laptops no sound worked until i
> port-installed the phono-xine backend and configured it instead of the
> default [and only] gstreamer ...

Interesting.. Any errors or information when running as gstreamer?