[PC-BSD Testing] How to install KDE?

Hugh boxxxxxoq at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 19:57:28 PDT 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Tigersharke . <tigersharke at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello..
>
> I must assume you are working with v9.0 since v8.2 is KDE-centric :)
>
> It is a very simple matter to add or remove a desktop, such as KDE within
> v9.0:
>
> Go to the PC-BSD control panel -> System Manager, select System Packages
> tab, then choose KDE within the 'Desktops' group.
>
> It is possible to initiate the System Manager GUI from the commandline with:
> pc-sysmanager
>
> CAVEAT **WARNING**
>
> Adding/removing a PC-BSD package within System Manager will also have a
> side-effect of removal of any installed FreeBSD Ports or Packages.
> ---
>
> Hope you enjoy your time with PC-BSD!

Oops, I should have provided more useful information in my question
but all your assumptions are correct.

I installed PC-BSD 9.0 RC1.

I've tried to use AppCafe to install KDE but over there I can't find
any WM available under category 'window managers'.

Since I am using Simplified Chineses(locale:zh_CN.UTF-8) as system
language, from time to time, the texts will be blanked out. This could
be the reason of causing the problem. I will consider to switch it
back to en_US.UTF-8.

Thanks a ton for suggesting the 'pc-sysmanager' command line tool. I
will try it out later.

--
Hugh