[PC-BSD Testing] How to install KDE?

Tigersharke . tigersharke at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 19:39:02 PDT 2011

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Hugh <boxxxxxoq at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know there are 3 ways to install packages in PC-BSD.
>
> 1. appCafe
> 2. pkg_add
> 3. ports
>
> I chose option 2 but got a lot of 'pkg_add: warning: package
> 'kde4-4.6.5' requires 'py27-cups-1.9.59', but 'py27-cups-1.9.60' is
> installed' errors.
>
> Questions,
> 1. how to deal with these errors?
> 2. what's a better to install KDE for a beginner.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Hugh

Hello..

I must assume you are working with v9.0 since v8.2 is KDE-centric :)

It is a very simple matter to add or remove a desktop, such as KDE within
v9.0:

Go to the PC-BSD control panel -> System Manager, select System Packages
tab, then choose KDE within the 'Desktops' group.

It is possible to initiate the System Manager GUI from the commandline
with: pc-sysmanager

CAVEAT **WARNING**

Adding/removing a PC-BSD package within System Manager will also have a
side-effect of removal of any installed FreeBSD Ports or Packages.
---

Hope you enjoy your time with PC-BSD!