[PC-BSD Testing] First impressions of the latest snapshot

Jesse Smith jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca
Sun May 22 11:37:10 PDT 2011

I took the latest snapshot of PC-BSD 9 for a spin. I was using the
32-bit live DVD on an HP laptop (dual-core 2GHz CPU, 3GB of RAM, Intel
video and wireless cards).

My first observation is a low-priority thing: the live disc takes a long
time to boot. From selecting the DVD drive as the boot device to the
point where the desktop appeared was about nine minutes.

Once on the desktop, performance was okay and, so far, apps seem to be
working. The control centre is looking good in this release.

By default my wireless card isn't picked up. It's an Intel WiFi 1000
Series. Now I noticed the firmware for the card is on the DVD
(/boot/kernel/iwn1000fw.ko) but it's not loaded automatically. The
firmware and "ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev iwn0" needed to be run
manually for the system to see my wireless card. This is probably an
upstream (FreeBSD) issue, but perhaps we can look at a way of automating
this process?

- Jesse