[PC-BSD Testing] Little proposal for beastie.4th

Yuri Momotiuk yurkis at gmail.com
Fri May 6 07:54:07 PDT 2011

2011/5/6 Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org>

>  On 05/05/2011 05:19, Yuri Momotiuk wrote:
>
> Hello
>
>  The idea is to add little script to rc.shutdown which checks is
> /boot/kernel.old and enables (or disables) item for old kernel loading in
> boot menu.
> It should be very useful while kernel rebuild / bsd-update, etc. Kris, you
> just changed beastie.4th. Can you add that feature? Thanks.
>
> --
> Best regards, Yuri Momotyuk

> Let me tinker with this idea. If beastie.4th has a way to see if there are
> multiple kernels in /boot, then it would be cool to have a menu option to
> select which to load. I'll check and see if this is possible.

IMHO the best way is to add script to rc.shutdown which:
1. At least check if  /boot/kernel.old exist and if it is uncomment menu
item in .4th file
2. OR Get list of directories which starts from kernel - /boot/kernel*
(kernel, kernel.old, kernel.generic for example) and creates menu entries
for that (current, old, generic for example).

I can try to illustrate or event create that, but I need to understand forth
so it may take some time.

--
Best regards, Yuri Momotyuk