[PC-BSD Testing] ZeroConf (mdns) not set in nsswitch.conf

Bharata Kom bharatak at kominik.net
Thu Mar 31 07:48:52 PDT 2011

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 10:08:31 -0400, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:
> On 03/31/2011 08:17, Bharatak Kom wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> In the default configuration of PCBSD 9.0 the avahi_daemon is enabled
>> by default however resolving the .local domain does not work. I think
>> it would make sense to add an entry for mdns in /etc/nsswitch.conf.
>> This would allow pcbcd hosts to resolve the .local domain and enable
>> network browsing for kde and gnome.
>>
>> --diff for /etc/nsswitch.conf--
>> 7c7
>> < hosts:        files dns
>> ---
>> > hosts:        files mdns dns
>>

>> -=B
>
> Are you sure this makes a difference? When I add it and restart
> /etc/rc.d/nsswitch here it gives this:
>
> Warning: unrecognized source [mdns]
>
> Then /etc/host.conf doesn't have any mdns entry in it.

All I did was change the /etc/nsswitch.conf file. I did not restart any
services. with mdns in the hosts: line I can successfully "ping host.local"
if mdns is not there it does not work, I get a bogus cable modem dns
re-direct - but that's another story.

I took a quick look, on PCBSD-8.2, at /etc/rc.d/nsswitch and that seems to
be used to generate the conf files. Is it called every boot? I do not have
access to my test box from here, I can re-verify tonight.

-=B