[PC-BSD Testing] Upgrade 8.1 -> 8.2 Failed from i386 DVD ISO

Xavier Alvelo bebuxe90 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 12:11:48 PDT 2011

It could be that you reinstalled the MBR, or there's a hardware
failure somewhere (ram?). Try cleaning the entire harddrive clean (dd
if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad0). Then install, but make sure you either
check or not check the add "pcbsd bootstrap" (try the first one
first).

And my presumption is that the upgrade script has not been optimized
to get stuff from 8.1 to 8.2 since lots of new additions where made to
the base install. If anything, it should back up stuff in /usr/home.
Everything else not. Still I presumed you have already backed up most
of your data. so try the MBR check thing first. relay if it works.