[PC-BSD Testing] should /home be in default partitioning

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Tue Mar 22 06:34:30 PDT 2011

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 06:17:48 -0700
Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:

> Applications / Software are installed to /usr, while user-data is
> located in /home, so a problem arises, in how much space do we
> allocate to each? Right now with /home being a sym-link to /usr/home,
> its not a problem, but when we create a separate /home partition,
> then we have a difficult choice to make, which needs more space? The
> problem is, no matter how we slice it, somebody is going to get
> short-changed by doing this. I can see the forum posts now: "I still
> have 300GB of free space in /home, why can't I install any more
> applications??"
>
> Using ZFS lets us get past this, but then as you pointed out, there
> isn't a "zfs encrypt" command available for selectively encrypting a
> specific mount-point, so we are back to the same problem.
>
> Does anybody see any ways around this prickly issue?

Considering that there is no 'zfs encrypt' available and don't know if
it is on FreeBSD radar, I tend to agree that leaving things as they
are is optimal at the moment.

At least, I do not believe that creating separate ZFS pool for /home
is worthwhile and using encryption on the whole pool is not
tragedy. Finally, I use my desktop with Linux without encryption, so
we're not so paranoid.

> Aside from that, I have made a note to look at and fix the installer
> bugs when using /home partitions, and ZFS with mirroring. Might get a
> chance to do that later this week,

So, in order to migrate to PCBSD sooner than later, I hope that
installing on one HDD with default auto-partitioning would be a way for
me to go...Then after installation is finished, I may just do 'zfs
attach' to get mirror.

> thanks for the logfile Gour!

You're welcome...Thank you for pushing PC-BSD. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
“In the material world, conceptions of good and bad are
all mental speculations…” (Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu)

http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: CDBF17CA