[PC-BSD Testing] PC-BSD current CD

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Mar 14 08:11:51 PDT 2011

On 03/12/11 10:05, Jesse Smith wrote:
> Hello fellow PC-BSDers,
> This weekend I took the PC-BSD -current CD for a spin. I'd like to share
> a few impressions of my experience thus far....
> First up, as I said, I'm using the CD rather than the DVD and I suspect
> some of the points I'm about to bring up are because I wasn't using the
> DVD image. For example, the CD doesn't appear to feature a live
> environment, just the installer. I'm assuming that's by design. Likewise
> I noticed during the install process the installer skips from the Users
> screen straight ahead to the Summary screen (skipping Desktop and
> Applications). I'm guessing those screens are only used on the DVD?
> Regarding the installer, I think it's top notch. Very intuitive and easy
> to get through. I like how the options are laid out, especially things
> like file system selection, partitioning and user accounts.

This is correct, the CD is an install-only media, with LXDE as the
default desktop. I can't fit the other desktops on there, but it is
possible to install them via the net after installation.

> One thing I think would be helpful for new users is something on the
> disk partitioning screen telling them the minimum space requirements
> for / and /usr. Maybe this could be put in the Help text. Speaking of
> which, I notice the help text right now just says, "Simple help text for
> screen #" on each of the installer screens. I'll assume that will be
> changed pre-release.

I agree, we will have to put that in the help text for sure. Right now
there is a help button on each page, but we've not finished writing any
text for them yet.

> The install finished without any problems or errors.
> Post-install I rebooted, let the system take the menu defaults and, just
> after the loader screen I got a message saying (I think) "WITNESS option
> enabled, expect reduced performance" and then the system hung for about
> a minute before continuing the boot process. I'm guessing Witness is
> some sort of debug tool?

Yea, witness is a FreeBSD debug tool, it'll be disabled for release of

> The system  locked up before it got to the login screen. The last line
> of text I saw during the boot process was
> "--- syscall (6, FreeBSD ELF32, close), eip = 0x283b8d43,
> esp=0xbfbfe98x, ebp-0xbfbf39a8 ---"
> This happens right after a text login prompt appears, but before
> switching over to graphical mode.

Humm, so you weren't able to get to the display wizard screen? What
graphics card is this again? What happens if you enable the option to
run in VESA mode at bootup?