[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 9.0 Needs Dru to write the book.

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Wed Mar 9 01:25:32 PST 2011

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 22:51:06 +0000
Dru Lavigne <drulavigne at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> The current plan is to publish a dead tree version of the PC-BSD 9.0
> Handbook with the release (in addition to the version that comes on
> the desktop and which is available in PDF and HTML formats online).
> That way users who want a bookshelf reference can purchase one. It
> also means the community has lots of time to review the wiki version
> as it is updated to help ensure that the table of contents and the
> content itself reflects users' needs.

May I suggest to put less KDE-specific stuff as well as installer
stuff, while adding some more cli-related stuff about tools required
to do system admin work. Or, can you suggest some other fresh *-BSD
book to learn more about it?

I assume that by the time that 9.0 will be out, I'll absorb
installer-related pages and considering that I use Xfce, I do not need
KDE-stuff, but, based on reviews & TOC of the previous edition, I'm
enthusiastic about more advanced stuff, building PBIs etc. which would
justify to buy some modern Free(PC)-BSD coverage in dead-tree version.

> I'm also trying to convert the current 8.2 PDF to epub format, though
> the FreeBSD port for Calibre (the suggested conversion tool) has
> issues. Haven't figured out which dependency is preventing the
> conversion so that the port can be fixed.

I've installed Calibre on Linux and converted one random PDF.

Here you can see how does build script looks like for Archlinux:

http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/calibre/repos/community-x86_64/PKGBUILD

Or, you can try post errors which you get...

Sincerely,
Gour

--
“In the material world, conceptions of good and bad are
all mental speculations…” (Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu)

http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: CDBF17CA