[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.2-- Centrino-based Laptop. Intel video driver fails. Install and video setup require vesa driver

Dru Lavigne drulavigne at sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 8 07:20:11 PST 2011

Thanks for testing this, Ian. I'll add a note to the laptop section of the Handbook.

Cheers,

Dru

Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 10:11:20 -0500
From: fitchkendall at gmail.com
To: testing at lists.pcbsd.org
Subject: [PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.2-- Centrino-based Laptop. Intel video driver fails. Install and video setup require vesa driver

Testing PCBSD 8.2-RELEASE-i386 on Centrino-based laptop (Acer Travelmate 4001, P4 Mobile chip @ 1.6 GHz), which includes a built-in intel video chip.

A "live mode" boot failed at about the point where the video driver was enabled.

The installation failed at the same point.  However, I could install without problem by starting the install in the VESA mode.

After the basic install completed, the video installation defaulted to the driver named intel-3d-enable.  This did not work.  Nor did the plain "intel" driver.  After selecting and sending the video installation into the test mode, the system just hangs to a black screen.

Everything runs fine with the vesa driver.

To summarize, until a better intel driver is released, Centrino-based laptops using the intel video chipset need to install in the vesa mode and need to select the vesa driver.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio