[PC-BSD Testing] First mythtv testing results on latest 9 snapshot (hal, ..)

Juergen Lock pcbsd-testing-l at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Sat Jun 18 05:21:59 PDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 11:15:38AM +0200, handygewinnspiel at gmx.de wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> >  The good news is it probably can be made to work (I cant really
> > receive in vbox, only scan for dvb-t channels, my dvb-s2 tuner would
> > need usb 2.0 that vbox ose doesn't do), but there were a few problems:
> >
> > [...]

> > 3. w_scan seemed broken with -m dvb-usb-init.force_pid_filter_usage=1
> >    passed to webcamd (I think on Linux this would be `modprobe
> >    dvb-usb force_pid_filter_usage=1') that otherwise may be needed
> >    with webcamd on slower boxen for this type of tuner, I'm not
> >    sure yet if this is because of vbox (usb 1.1...) or because of
> >    something else.  I'll Cc the w_scan author just in case. :)
> >

> Hmm, if you really tried w_scan (or any other dvb program) with an af9015 device on usb-1.1, i think it's not supposed to work at all. Your stick 0x15a4:0x9016 should report itself in demsg as an "Afatech AF9015 DVB-T USB2.0 stick" i think..
>
> I own two af9015 which will definitely work on USB-2.0 only (not shure about USB-3.0). USB-2 devices will usually pass the whole data from the current transponder to an software demuxer, where pid filtering is done in software. That will not work on slow usb-1.1 because bandwidth is limited.

The force_pid_filter_usage=1 module parameter tells the af9015 driver
to use the tuner's hardware pidfilter, and I just tested the same
outside of vbox (with usb 2.0) and w_scan also had issues then.
And interstingly I just tested this using the vdr wirbelscan plugin
(that I think at least shares code with w_scan?), and _that_ worked
even with force_pid_filter_usage=1...

> > [...]

PS:  Sorry I had forgotten for a moment that this mailinglist only
accepts posts from subscribers so my usual habit of just Cc.ing
people when posting to lists is a little problematic. :(  But at
least I could quote your reply above...