[PC-BSD Testing] The newly OSSed EKOPath compiler

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Thu Jun 16 06:14:31 PDT 2011

On 06/16/2011 4:41 AM, Yuri Momotiuk wrote:

> 2011/6/16 Arthur <A-Koziol at neiu.edu <mailto:A-Koziol at neiu.edu>>
>
>     So I was reading the buzz about Dirndl last week and then it turns
>     out to be the EKOPath 4 compiler going open source. I saw the
>     bench against GCC (a slightly older version) and it pretty much
>     smoked it
>     (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=pathscale_ekopath4_open&num=1
>     <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=pathscale_ekopath4_open&num=1>)
>     in all of the tests. Kris, it's available for FreeBSD. I know the
>     FreeBSD devs want to go to LLVM and dump GCC but on the surface
>     EKOPath looks like it would smoke LLVM too. I'll wait to see the
>     benches against GCC 4.6 and LLVM though, heck maybe PCC too. Do
>     you think there'd be a way to choose it as an alternative compiler
>     to LLVM down the road?
>
>     Arthur
>

> The main reason to switch from gcc to clang is GPL v3 license of new
> gcc. As I heard that license has some capability issues with FreeBSD
> base system.  Because that FreeBSD has old gcc version in base system.
> EKOPath has GPL v3 too, so it can not be a gcc alternative in base
> system. But seems like it is good compiler that generetes fast and
> optimized code. I hope it may be icc alternative in some cases. Also
> EKOPath has BSD licensed gdp compatible debuger - PathDB. Integration
> this app into FreeBSD may be possible, I think.
>
> PS. I also want to see banches EcoPath vs pcc vs icc
>

> --
> Best regards, Yuri Momotyuk

Yuri,

I wrote a message to Michael Larabel at Phoronix to bench a variety of
current compilers against each other to see how they compare. Drop him a
line too via the Contact link and ask him to bench what you've
mentioned. Maybe if more people ask him to do a comparison bench he'll
do it.

cheers,
Arthur