[PC-BSD Testing] The newly OSSed EKOPath compiler

Yuri Momotiuk yurkis at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 02:41:00 PDT 2011

2011/6/16 Arthur <A-Koziol at neiu.edu>

> So I was reading the buzz about Dirndl last week and then it turns out to
> be the EKOPath 4 compiler going open source. I saw the bench against GCC (a
> slightly older version) and it pretty much smoked it (
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=pathscale_ekopath4_open&num=1)
> in all of the tests. Kris, it's available for FreeBSD. I know the FreeBSD
> devs want to go to LLVM and dump GCC but on the surface EKOPath looks like
> it would smoke LLVM too. I'll wait to see the benches against GCC 4.6 and
> LLVM though, heck maybe PCC too. Do you think there'd be a way to choose it
> as an alternative compiler to LLVM down the road?
>
> Arthur

The main reason to switch from gcc to clang is GPL v3 license of new gcc. As
I heard that license has some capability issues with FreeBSD base system.
 Because that FreeBSD has old gcc version in base system.
EKOPath has GPL v3 too, so it can not be a gcc alternative in base system.
But seems like it is good compiler that generetes fast and optimized code. I
hope it may be icc alternative in some cases. Also EKOPath has BSD licensed
gdp compatible debuger - PathDB. Integration this app into FreeBSD may be
possible, I think.

PS. I also want to see banches EcoPath vs pcc vs icc

--
Best regards, Yuri Momotyuk