[PC-BSD Testing] Fwd: Testing XBMC on PC-BSD9

Arthur A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Tue Jun 14 18:33:35 PDT 2011

On 06/14/2011 5:09 PM, Andreas Hotz wrote:
> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] Testing XBMC on PC-BSD9
> To: PC-BSD Testing list <testing at lists.pcbsd.org
> <mailto:testing at lists.pcbsd.org>>
>

> 2011/6/14 Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org <mailto:kris at pcbsd.org>>
>
>     On 06/13/2011 10:53, Andreas Hotz wrote:
>
>         Hallo, I found a problem in XBMC !
>
>         When logging into it, the mouse speed is decreasing very much !
>
>         So it is very hard to move through the menues !
>
>         Thanks for your good work and for including XBMC into PC-BSD
>
>         Glentured
>

>     I have the same issue here, but its because my video driver is
>     garbage and I get no acceleration. What driver / video card are
>     you using?
>
>     --
>     Kris Moore
>     PC-BSD Software
>     iXsystems

> Hallo, my Video card is sadly too, a ATI Radeon 4800 (Rv770/790) !
> For me it lacks because of loud airflow noise, ´cause no driver moding
> support, ´ATI´ should do a
> better work for BSD users, maybe soon !
> But back to the issue here, may be this is a reason for the XBMC slow
> mouse !
>
>  Thanks
>  Andreas Hotz

Andreas,

If I had to take a guess, I would not say the video driver but XBMC. KDE
and Gnome get a lot of development put into them but it could also be
that X server is not yet caught up to the rest of the world. But I think
the recent XOrg 7.5.1 updated a lot of non-display drivers so who knows.
BIOS is up to date on this PC? It's s USB or PS/2 mouse? If USB, check
in the BIOS for some setting called USB Legacy support and see if it is
on or off. See also if in the BIOS there's a USB setting related to USB
port speed (i.e. HighSpeed or SuperSpeed).

cheers,
Arthur