[PC-BSD Testing] Flash Upgrade kills access to YouTube -- Follow-up

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 07:02:05 PDT 2011

Re: Flash problems

After Ian Robinson said:

> Here is the output you requested:
>

> [IR <at> rtbank] /home/IR# pkg_info | grep nsplugin
> nspluginwrapper-1.4.0 A compatibility plugin for Mozilla NPAPI plugins
> [IR <at> rtbank] /home/IR#
> [IR <at> rtbank] /home/IR# pkg_info | grep flash
> linux-f10-flashplugin-10.3r181.14 Adobe Flash Player NPAPI Plugin
> [IR <at> rtbank] /home/IR#
> [IR <at> rtbank] /home/IR# pkg_info | grep pango
> gstreamer-plugins-pango-0.10.31,3 Gstreamer pango textoverlay plugin
> linux-f10-pango-1.28.3 The pango library (Linux Fedora 10)
> pango-1.28.3        An open-source framework for the layout and
> rendering of i1
> [IR <at> rtbank] /home/IR#

Kris Moore asked:

1.  All your packages are identical to what I've got here. Have you do any
other customization on the system?

2.  If you run the command "flashpluginctl off" and then "flashpluginctl on"

does it still not let the plugin show up in mozillas about:plugins?

3.  FWIW does chrome show the flash plugin and use it properly?

==================== R E P L Y

1.  There is no other customization.  Very vanilla PCBSD install.

2.  Before-and-after comparison of plugins:

======== about:plugins output before executing commands
======================

Shockwave Flash

    File: npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
    Version:
    Shockwave Flash 10.3 r181

MIME Type             Description         Suffixes
application/x-shockwave-flash     Shockwave Flash     swf
application/futuresplash     FutureSplash Player     spl

========= about:plugins output after executing "off" command
=======================

[IR at rtbank] ~> flashpluginctl off

Flash Plugin for user 'IR' disabled

There are no entries for Shockwave Flash

========= about:plugins output after executing "on" command
=======================

[IR at rtbank] ~> flashpluginctl on

Flash Plugin for user 'IR' enabled

[IR at rtbank] ~>

about:plugins report for Shockwave Flash is identical to the "before"
section.

3.  I do not have chrome, but chrome users also make many reports of Flash
crashing, or failing to play YouTube, or hanging.  See, for example, "Chrome
11 - Constant Flash Crashes"
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=13137185df92e1eb&hl=en

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio