[PC-BSD Testing] Flash Upgrade kills access to YouTube Follow-up

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 09:57:08 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 3:00 PM, <testing-request at lists.pcbsd.org> wrote:

>   2. Re: Flash Upgrade kills access to YouTube Follow-up (Kris Moore)
> From: Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org>
> To: testing at lists.pcbsd.org
> Subject: Re: [PC-BSD Testing] Flash Upgrade kills access to YouTube
>        Follow-up
>
> On 06/01/2011 12:33, Ian Robinson wrote:
> > Re: Flash Upgrade kills access to YouTube
> >
> > On Thu, 26 May 2011, Ian Robinson said:
> >
> > > The recent Flash upgrade patch for 8.2 kills access to YouTube and
> > generates constant error messages in Yahoo email.
> > >
> > > YouTube will not play at all, and displays a message in the window
> > where the image usually plays saying "You need to upgrade your Adobe
> > Flash Player to see this video."   If the computer is rebooted after
> > applying the Flash upgrade patch, the message says "click here to
> > download plugin," which of course does nothing on a non-windows OS.
> > >
> > > Yahoo lets you see and access email, but whenever you click on a
> > message an error message box jumps up saying "Flash required for this
> > application.  Your browser must have Flash 9.0 or higher installed to
> > add this application. You can download and install the latest Flash
> > Player here."  (Ironically, the Yahoo main page with its photos, news
> > stories, and ads does not complain.)
> > >
> > > Ian Robinson
> > > Salem, Ohio
> >

> > On 05/26/2011 09:11, Dru Lavigne replied to Ian Robinson saying:
> >
> > > Does running "nspluginwrapper -v -a -i" as the regular user and
> > restarting the browser fix it?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Dru
> > >

> > And, Kris Moore asked:
> >
> > Also, what browser / architecture is this? i386 or amd64?
> >

> > -- Kris Moore PC-BSD Software iXsystems
> >
> > ================== Replies ===========================
> >
> > Thanks for the speedy replies.
> >
> > @ Kris:
> >
> > The architecture is amd64 and I was using Firefox 4.0 64 bit at the
> > time.  I am now using Firefox 4.0.1 64 bit version at this time.
> >
> > @ Dru:
> >
> > The following is the output from the nspluginwrapper command, which
> > did not appear to make any difference.
> >
> > [IR at rtbank] ~> nspluginwrapper -v -a -i
> > Auto-install plugins from /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin
> > Looking for plugins in /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin
> > Install plugin
> > /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
> >   into /home/IR/.mozilla/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
> > <http://npwrapper.libflashplayer.so>
> > Auto-install plugins from /home/IR/.mozilla/plugins
> > Looking for plugins in /home/IR/.mozilla/plugins
> > [IR at rtbank] ~>
> >

> > Konqueror has no problem playing flash.
> >

> > Ian Robinson
> > Salem, Ohio
>
> That is really odd, since konq works but not FF. Can you send me this
> output?
>
> # pkg_info | grep nsplugin
> # pkg_info | grep flash
> # pkg_info | grep pango

> [...]
Dear Kris,

This is an HP xw9400 workstation w/ Nvidia 240GT  1Gb, and with LSILogic
SAS/SATA Adapter:

Re:  FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE #7: Wed Feb 16 13:33:10 PST 2011
    root at build8x64.pcbsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/pcbsd-build82/fbsd-source/8.2/sys/PCBSD
amd64
CPU: Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2216 (2400.02-MHz K8-class CPU)
real memory  = 8590983168 (8193 MB)
avail memory = 8224358400 (7843 MB)
ACPI APIC Table: <HP     COBRA   >
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 4 CPUs

===============================

Here is the output you requested:

[IR at rtbank] /home/IR# pkg_info | grep nsplugin
nspluginwrapper-1.4.0 A compatibility plugin for Mozilla NPAPI plugins
[IR at rtbank] /home/IR#
[IR at rtbank] /home/IR# pkg_info | grep flash
linux-f10-flashplugin-10.3r181.14 Adobe Flash Player NPAPI Plugin
[IR at rtbank] /home/IR#
[IR at rtbank] /home/IR# pkg_info | grep pango
gstreamer-plugins-pango-0.10.31,3 Gstreamer pango textoverlay plugin
linux-f10-pango-1.28.3 The pango library (Linux Fedora 10)
pango-1.28.3        An open-source framework for the layout and rendering of
i1
[IR at rtbank] /home/IR#

--
Ian Robinson