[PC-BSD Testing] Flash Upgrade kills access to YouTube Follow-up

Johann Kois jkois at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 1 12:08:03 PDT 2011

Am 01.06.2011 19:21, schrieb Kris Moore:
> On 06/01/2011 12:33, Ian Robinson wrote:
>> Re: Flash Upgrade kills access to YouTube
>>
>> On Thu, 26 May 2011, Ian Robinson said:
>>
>> > The recent Flash upgrade patch for 8.2 kills access to YouTube and
>> generates constant error messages in Yahoo email.
>> >
>> > YouTube will not play at all, and displays a message in the window
>> where the image usually plays saying "You need to upgrade your Adobe
>> Flash Player to see this video."   If the computer is rebooted after
>> applying the Flash upgrade patch, the message says "click here to
>> download plugin," which of course does nothing on a non-windows OS.
>> >
>> > Yahoo lets you see and access email, but whenever you click on a
>> message an error message box jumps up saying "Flash required for this
>> application.  Your browser must have Flash 9.0 or higher installed to
>> add this application. You can download and install the latest Flash
>> Player here."  (Ironically, the Yahoo main page with its photos, news
>> stories, and ads does not complain.)
>> >
>> > Ian Robinson
>> > Salem, Ohio
>>

>> On 05/26/2011 09:11, Dru Lavigne replied to Ian Robinson saying:
>>
>> > Does running "nspluginwrapper -v -a -i" as the regular user and
>> restarting the browser fix it?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Dru
>> >

>> And, Kris Moore asked:
>>
>> Also, what browser / architecture is this? i386 or amd64?
>>

>> -- Kris Moore PC-BSD Software iXsystems
>>
>> ================== Replies ===========================
>>
>> Thanks for the speedy replies.
>>
>> @ Kris:
>>
>> The architecture is amd64 and I was using Firefox 4.0 64 bit at the
>> time.  I am now using Firefox 4.0.1 64 bit version at this time.
>>
>> @ Dru:
>>
>> The following is the output from the nspluginwrapper command, which
>> did not appear to make any difference.
>>
>> [IR at rtbank] ~> nspluginwrapper -v -a -i
>> Auto-install plugins from /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin
>> Looking for plugins in /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin
>> Install plugin
>> /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
>>   into /home/IR/.mozilla/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
>> <http://npwrapper.libflashplayer.so>
>> Auto-install plugins from /home/IR/.mozilla/plugins
>> Looking for plugins in /home/IR/.mozilla/plugins
>> [IR at rtbank] ~>
>>

>> Konqueror has no problem playing flash.
>>

>> Ian Robinson
>> Salem, Ohio
>
> That is really odd, since konq works but not FF.

As already mentioned the reason for this seems to be that Firefox has
deactivated the flash plugin (without asking the user and without giving
him an easy way to get it back online!).  I have the same behaviour on
my system.

- http://www.mozilla.com/de/plugincheck/
- http://lists.pcbsd.org/pipermail/testing/2011-May/005319.html

Regards.