[PC-BSD Testing] upgrade procedure (was Re: automounting & PCBSD)

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Jul 28 06:29:08 PDT 2011

On 07/28/2011 09:04, Gour-Gadadhara Dasa wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 13:20:36 -0400
> Kris Moore<kris at pcbsd.org>  wrote:
>
>> In this case I'm referring to upgrades from BETA1 ->  BETA2 ->  RC1 ->
>> RC2 ->  Release.
> OK.
>
>> When doing a major upgrade like that, both the world / kernel is
>> upgraded, along with the installed ports which makeup your desktop,
>> such as xorg, kde, lxde, gnome, etc. (All the particular meta-pkgs
>> which are installed).
> OK.
>
>> Both PBIs and packages installed into a jail / portsjail will not be
>> touched, but system-packages are fair game, since that is what your
>> desktop consists of.
> Heh, in my case I still don't have anything in jails not any PBIs - when I
> installed they were mostly not ready, so the question is how can one update
> only PCBSD-specific stuff like e.g. automounting stuff, control panel,
> AppCafe etc. considering that most of the installed packages are from
> ports?
You would have to do some manual updating, by downloading subversion,
compiling all our tree / source, and updating any packages manually
which have changed for BETA1. This will not be a "real" update to BETA1
though, since you'll be missing other bits from the meta-pkg manager. I
wouldn't recommend doing that at all :(