[PC-BSD Testing] upgrade procedure (was Re: automounting & PCBSD)

Gour-Gadadhara Dasa gour at atmarama.net
Thu Jul 28 06:04:45 PDT 2011

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 13:20:36 -0400
Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:

> In this case I'm referring to upgrades from BETA1 -> BETA2 -> RC1 ->
> RC2 -> Release.

> When doing a major upgrade like that, both the world / kernel is
> upgraded, along with the installed ports which makeup your desktop,
> such as xorg, kde, lxde, gnome, etc. (All the particular meta-pkgs
> which are installed).

> Both PBIs and packages installed into a jail / portsjail will not be
> touched, but system-packages are fair game, since that is what your
> desktop consists of.

Heh, in my case I still don't have anything in jails not any PBIs - when I
installed they were mostly not ready, so the question is how can one update
only PCBSD-specific stuff like e.g. automounting stuff, control panel,
AppCafe etc. considering that most of the installed packages are from

I hope that after moving to 9.0-STABLE, I'll start deploying PBIs on my OS as
well as put some packages in jails.

“In the material world, conceptions of good and bad are
all mental speculations…” (Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu)