[PC-BSD Testing] automounting & PCBSD

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Jul 27 10:20:36 PDT 2011

On 07/27/2011 13:13, Gour-Gadadhara Dasa wrote:
>> however ports are still going to get un-installed during the upgrade phase,
>> so you'll need to try to use the portjail to keep things clean :)
> Hmm, I don't get it...To do 'make buildworld' 'make buildkernel' is much less
> time-consuming than installing all the required ports, tweaking the servers
> etc.
>
> So, I don't understand what is the advantage of 'upgrade' then?
>
> Or do I miss something?
>

> Sincerely,
> Gour

In this case I'm referring to upgrades from BETA1 -> BETA2 -> RC1 -> RC2
-> Release.

When doing a major upgrade like that, both the world / kernel is
upgraded, along with the installed ports which makeup your desktop, such
as xorg, kde, lxde, gnome, etc. (All the particular meta-pkgs which are
installed).

Both PBIs and packages installed into a jail / portsjail will not be
touched, but system-packages are fair game, since that is what your
desktop consists of.