[PC-BSD Testing] automounting & PCBSD

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Jul 27 09:49:22 PDT 2011

On 07/27/2011 01:48, Gour-Gadadhara Dasa wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 08:03:02 -0400
> Kris Moore<kris at pcbsd.org>  wrote:
>
>> I'll do some digging into it and hopefully get something implemented in 9
>> soon, since I agree that
> I'm thrilled by your yesterday's commit and wonder if it would be possible to
> upgrade my OS safely without re-install with the upcoming snapshot?
>
> I've few servers running (cherokee webserver, dovecot...), then some app having
> data in /usr/local/var (amanda), so would prefer upgrade over install.
>
> What do you think?
>

> Sincerely,
> Gour

The new upgrade functionality is coming in the next release, so you'll
probably need to backup / install. Once you get to that release, you'll
be able to do upgrades, however ports are still going to get
un-installed during the upgrade phase, so you'll need to try to use the
portjail to keep things clean :)