[PC-BSD Testing] automounting & PCBSD

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Jul 26 05:03:02 PDT 2011

On 07/26/2011 02:38, Gour-Gadadhara Dasa wrote:
> Hello!
>
> At the moment I use Xfce on PCBSD-9.0 (one of the older - April
> snapshots) and there is no automounting in Thunar.
>
> IIRC, when I installed PCBSD for the first time, thunar was capable of
> automount, but I believe it was due to xfce-4.6 where mounting of
> removable media was done via HAL which is dropped in favour of udev in
> 4.8.x.
>
> Personally, I can mount my media manually via cli, but it makes system
> non-friendly for other family members in my home and I would not like
> to return back to Linux for such bizarre reasons.
>
> After hearing that KDE might not be so Linux-only DE, I tried it two
> days ago, but simply I do not like it and the performance was sluggish
> in comparison with Xfce.
>
> At the same time I've found out the following thread
>
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=23105
>
> in the forums where some users wrote scripts for automounting in
> Openbox&  Thunar.
>
> Considering that I really like (Free)PCBSD and want to stay using, I'm
> curious to know how the project envisions to solve lack of 'automount'
> feture on current and future versions of different DEs (GNOME, Xfce,
> LXDE) which is probably a must for the today' desktop?
>

> Btw, what is the current situation in regard to automount in current
> PCBSD-9.0 snapshot?
>

> Sincerely,
> Gour

Right now we have auto-mounting working in Gnome / KDE, but LXDE still
doesn't work, along with XFCE for the same udev reasons you've
mentioned. I'm looking through the thread above, and it may make sense
for us to import some auto-mounting script similar to theirs, with a
tray icon for management. I'll do some digging into it and hopefully get
something implemented in 9 soon, since I agree that auto-mounting is a
critical feature, and the linux'isms of various DE's is hurting us in
that area.