[PC-BSD Testing] automounting & PCBSD

Gour-Gadadhara Dasa gour at atmarama.net
Mon Jul 25 23:38:36 PDT 2011

Hello!

At the moment I use Xfce on PCBSD-9.0 (one of the older - April
snapshots) and there is no automounting in Thunar.

IIRC, when I installed PCBSD for the first time, thunar was capable of
automount, but I believe it was due to xfce-4.6 where mounting of
removable media was done via HAL which is dropped in favour of udev in
4.8.x.

Personally, I can mount my media manually via cli, but it makes system
non-friendly for other family members in my home and I would not like
to return back to Linux for such bizarre reasons.

After hearing that KDE might not be so Linux-only DE, I tried it two
days ago, but simply I do not like it and the performance was sluggish
in comparison with Xfce.

At the same time I've found out the following thread

in the forums where some users wrote scripts for automounting in
Openbox & Thunar.

Considering that I really like (Free)PCBSD and want to stay using, I'm
curious to know how the project envisions to solve lack of 'automount'
feture on current and future versions of different DEs (GNOME, Xfce,
LXDE) which is probably a must for the today' desktop?

Btw, what is the current situation in regard to automount in current
PCBSD-9.0 snapshot?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
“In the material world, conceptions of good and bad are
all mental speculations…” (Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu)