[PC-BSD Testing] Libre Office in favor of Open Office?

Matt Olander matt at ixsystems.com
Thu Jul 21 11:24:06 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Arthur Koziol <A-Koziol at neiu.edu> wrote:
> On 07/21/2011 1:02 PM, Kris Moore wrote:
>> On 07/21/2011 10:46, Arthur Koziol wrote:
>>> Kris,
>>> I was just curious if you plan to switch to Libre Office from Open
>>> Office since Oracle has washed their hands of it and it's not going to
>>> be developed and further?
>>> Arthur
>> Well, I'm not sure where you heard that OO won't be developed further,
>> but the Apache foundation may have something to say about that :)
>> Right now the plan is that we are going to keep building and hosting
>> PBIs of each, and let users ultimately pick a winner. Both will be
>> available in the AppCafe for download and use, so its really a non-issue
>> to me. The only thing of concern is which to include on the install DVD,
>> but I've yet to get to the point of putting PBIs on the install media,
>> and depending upon space limitations it may be a non-issue anyway.
> Kris,
> By Open Office not being developed I meant not being developed by Oracle.
> :-) Yes, Apache
> foundation was given the Open Office code but it was my understanding that
> the work being
> put in by Document Foundation / Apache will not see any updates to what was
> once called
> Open Office. It seems any work going forward will be on Libre Office
> exclusively.

They are both viable projects. IBM is stepping up their contributions
by announcing their intent to donate the Symphony codebase to
OpenOffice, http://labs.eweek.com/archives/ibm-steps-up-its-openoffice-commitment-with-symphony-donation,
and the Brazilian government has signed a Letter of Intent to develop
for both Open and Libre,
These are just a couple of the major contributors.

Since there are PBI's for both, it's really a non-issue for PC-BSD ;)