[PC-BSD Testing] Libre Office in favor of Open Office?

Arthur Koziol A-Koziol at neiu.edu
Thu Jul 21 11:11:03 PDT 2011

On 07/21/2011 1:02 PM, Kris Moore wrote:
> On 07/21/2011 10:46, Arthur Koziol wrote:
>
>> Kris,
>>
>> I was just curious if you plan to switch to Libre Office from Open
>> Office since Oracle has washed their hands of it and it's not going to
>> be developed and further?
>>
>> Arthur
>>
> Well, I'm not sure where you heard that OO won't be developed further,
> but the Apache foundation may have something to say about that :)
>
> Right now the plan is that we are going to keep building and hosting
> PBIs of each, and let users ultimately pick a winner. Both will be
> available in the AppCafe for download and use, so its really a non-issue
> to me. The only thing of concern is which to include on the install DVD,
> but I've yet to get to the point of putting PBIs on the install media,
> and depending upon space limitations it may be a non-issue anyway.

Kris,

By Open Office not being developed I meant not being developed by
Oracle. :-) Yes, Apache
foundation was given the Open Office code but it was my understanding
that the work being
put in by Document Foundation / Apache will not see any updates to what
was once called
Open Office. It seems any work going forward will be on Libre Office
exclusively.

Arthur