[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 9-CURRENT-20110701-i386 hangs at BTX loader

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Jul 19 12:32:17 PDT 2011

On 07/19/2011 14:19, Ian Robinson wrote:
> PCBSD 9-CURRENT-20110701-i386 hangs at BTX loader
>
> Older Dell Precision 420 Dual-P3, 1 Gb RAM, has on-board IDE and
> ADAPTEC SCSI Controllers.  Only one disk (SCSI) is installed.
>
> I've done the installation twice with the same result.  In each case,
> the installation was "new" from DVD using the entire disk.  The first
> installation used GPT.  The second installation did not use GPT.  GPT
> vs. non-GPT did not create a difference.  The hang occurred
> post-installation on the first boot after installation.
>
> === The screen shows these messages before freezing ===
>
> BTX Loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.02
> Consoles: internal video/keyboard
> -
>
> =====================================
>
> The "-" did not blink or rotate
>
> Similar problems are also reported at:
>
> FreeBSD problem i386/151122 (BTX 1.02 crashes on boot)
>
> http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=13997 (BTX Loader Problem in
> Combined Controllers [involving boot problems where the computer has
> SATA/ATA controller options])
>
> http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=14251 (PCBSD 8.2 can't boot)

I'm not sure what I'm personally going to be able to do about the BTX
problem. That's pretty hairy stuff to debug. But from the PR you sent,
it looks like its being investigated.

> --
> Ian Robinson
> Salem, Ohio
>
> PS -- You have a snapshot directory called 20110716 for more than a
> week but you've populated it with the 20110701 iso files.  Are you
> rolling another snapshot for 20110716?

That was a symlink to the 20110701 snapshots for some internal testing
of the update mechanisms here. I've removed it for now, and have a new
legit snapshot in the works for hopefully the end of this week.