[PC-BSD Testing] Some experiments with BTX

Mahmoud Al-Qudsi mqudsi at neosmart.net
Wed Jul 13 07:15:32 PDT 2011

On Jul 7, 2011, at 8:34 PM, Mahmoud Al-Qudsi wrote:
> As some of you may know, I've been testing the BTX bootloader in a number of various configurations over the past few days, with some help and guidance from Dru. My testing was all done with the July 1st snapshot of PC-BSD 9.0 on a MacBook in VMware Fusion.
>> The above require that /boot/pmbr and /boot/boot0 (both attached, see btx.zip) be copied from PC-BSD to the root of a partition on hard disk 0 (this is hd0,0 in the above example). I plan on automating this procedure entirely (to the extent that you select which partition PC-BSD is installed to from a drop-down and everything else is done for you) in EasyBCD [1]. I'm currently out of the country, but hope to have a beta build of EasyBCD [2] that can do this mid-next week.

Hello again everyone,

I've been working on EasyBCD's PC-BSD support, and I think I have a beta build that can be used and tested by anyone that's interested in getting the dual-boot to work.

Steps are simple:
1) Install PC-BSD to the same or different disk as Windows using GPT or MBR.
2) Do NOT check the "install bootloader" option in PC-BSD setup
3) After setup completes you'll be rebooted into Windows, where you need to run EasyBCD
4) EasyBCD | Add Entry | Linux | FreeBSD/PC-BSD | Add Entry
5) Reboot and enjoy the dual-boot

EasyBCD 2.1.1 beta build 147 can be downloaded from http://j.mp/EBCD2
You can also subscribe to email notification for new beta builds from there.

Looking forward to hearing some feedback and hoping it works for everybody!

Cheers,

Mahmoud