[PC-BSD Testing] Problems creating slice in 9.0 builds, empty error message

Mahmoud Al-Qudsi mqudsi at neosmart.net
Tue Jul 5 08:47:18 PDT 2011

On Jul 5, 2011, at 6:01 PM, Kris Moore wrote:
> I'm going to take a look into this, I noticed it in the last snapshot as well, and it seems something is broken talking to the backend when creating partitions, which is why you aren't getting an error message.
>
>> ….
>
> This option to install the boot-loader means it will install the FreeBSD boot0 MBR. Specifically by running the following command:
>
> # gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot0 ada0 (or whatever disk you are using)
> --
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> iXsystems

Kris, thanks for looking into this.

My installer log was empty, so I'm not able to provide any logs for this issue, it only contained the one line "Running: find-update-parts" Perhaps more logging can be added here?

Dru pointed me to the boot0cfg man page, but I can find no reference to installing the btx (?) bootloader to the bootsector instead of (or even in addition to) the MBR. The reason this is required is that other bootloaders (namely, grub) can chainload a bootloader from the bootsector but not from the MBR. So if GRUB is first in the boot process, BTX cannot be chained if it's only in the MBR; though if it's written to the bootsector as well, it can be invoked from there directly. Do you know if it's possible to write the bootloader to the bootsector somehow?

Thanks,

-Mahmoud