[PC-BSD Testing] Problems creating slice in 9.0 builds, empty error message

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Jul 5 08:01:44 PDT 2011

On 07/05/2011 04:38, Mahmoud Al-Qudsi wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Dru asked me to test some things relating to dual-booting PC-BSD 9.0 with Windows by way of EasyBCD (of which I am the developer). I'm running into some problems trying to get PC-BSD installed in the first place.
>
> I have a virtual machine with Windows 7 installed on the first partition, and ~50GB of free space left over. I boot from the snapshot CDs (I've tried a June snapshot, and now I'm on the July 1st snapshot), but when attempting to create a slice, I'm presented with the error message:
>
> "Slice creation failed with the following message"
>
> ...except no message is shown. Screenshot: http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8556&p=66423#post66423
>
> I've tried creating slices of different sizes and different formats, same thing. How can I access installation logs to see the original error message?

I'm going to take a look into this, I noticed it in the last snapshot as
well, and it seems something is broken talking to the backend when
creating partitions, which is why you aren't getting an error message.

> This was all originally in response to roelof's posts here on the list regarding issues dual-booting PC-BSD and Windows. The original support thread on our forums is located at http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8556
>
> I have one other question:
>
> During PC-BSD setup on the partitioning page, there is a checkbox labelled "Install Bootloader" — does this mean install bootloader files (as in, to the disk), or does this mean install the bootloader to the bootsector, or does it mean install bootloader to the MBR? I would like to install the BTX files and configurations to disk *and* install the bootsector for it, but *not* the MBR (if possible).

This option to install the boot-loader means it will install the FreeBSD
boot0 MBR. Specifically by running the following command:

# gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot0 ada0 (or whatever disk you are using)