[PC-BSD Testing] Problems creating slice in 9.0 builds, empty error message

Mahmoud Al-Qudsi mqudsi at neosmart.net
Tue Jul 5 01:38:57 PDT 2011

Hello all,

Dru asked me to test some things relating to dual-booting PC-BSD 9.0 with Windows by way of EasyBCD (of which I am the developer). I'm running into some problems trying to get PC-BSD installed in the first place.

I have a virtual machine with Windows 7 installed on the first partition, and ~50GB of free space left over. I boot from the snapshot CDs (I've tried a June snapshot, and now I'm on the July 1st snapshot), but when attempting to create a slice, I'm presented with the error message:

"Slice creation failed with the following message"

...except no message is shown. Screenshot: http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8556&p=66423#post66423

I've tried creating slices of different sizes and different formats, same thing. How can I access installation logs to see the original error message?

This was all originally in response to roelof's posts here on the list regarding issues dual-booting PC-BSD and Windows. The original support thread on our forums is located at http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8556

I have one other question:

During PC-BSD setup on the partitioning page, there is a checkbox labelled "Install Bootloader" — does this mean install bootloader files (as in, to the disk), or does this mean install the bootloader to the bootsector, or does it mean install bootloader to the MBR? I would like to install the BTX files and configurations to disk *and* install the bootsector for it, but *not* the MBR (if possible).

Thank you,

Mahmoud Al-Qudsi
NeoSmart Technologies