[PC-BSD Testing] 8.2 RC2 x64 install issues

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Jan 31 12:19:57 PST 2011

On 01/30/2011 06:16, Bruce Cran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried installing 8.2 RC2 x64 and came across a few issues:
>
> Typing in the keyboard test area: it seems to need two presses of
> shift-2 to produce a single " with a GB layout which I suspect may be
> a display problem?

Possible, does it do that with any other obvious key-combos?

> The partition editor lets you create duplicate ZFS mount points.

Fixed!

> It seems ZFS mirror doesn't work: selecting ada1 and ada2 as devices
> and setting the mountpoint to /home failed when the installer said it
> didn't have any partitions to work with.

Typically you'll setup "ada1" with your mounts, such as /home, then
select the device "ada2" as its mirror. Is that how you did it? What was
the full intended partition layout of this system? I can try to
duplicate it here.

> I had previously tried to install using GPT and got an error when the
> installer was trying to create / and SWAP on ada0:
>
> Running: gpart destroy ada2
> gpart: geom 'ada2': Invalid argument
>
> [...]
>
> Running: gpart bootcode -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada2
> gpart: /dev/ada2p1: Operation not permitted
>
> [...]
>
> glabel: Can't store metadata on /dev/ada0p3: Operation not permitted.
> Error 1: glabel label swap0 /dev/ada0p3
>
> The full log is at http://www.cran.org.uk/~brucec/pc-sysinstall.log

I get a 403 forbidden on that log file :(

Did you do both of these install attempts on the same boot? I.E. did you
reboot between them. I've seen some inconsistenties here when using
gpart, and after a failed install, the device is "locked", getting these
operation not permitted errors. A reboot and fresh try fixes it.

> It would be nice to have an option to choose between MBR or GPT on a
> per-disk basis. For example I want GPT on my mirrored /home (ada1 and
> ada2) but since I'm going to be installing Windows on ada0 I'd like to
> keep that with an MBR scheme; I know that's probably a more advanced
> use case than you're aiming for with pcbsd though.

Yea, that is a bit advanced, but I can put it in the hopper for 9,
shouldn't be too hard to add to the GUI. I'm thinking of doing work on
the advanced setup disk stuff, to make it easier to use for cases like
this.

> --
> Bruce Cran

- --