[PC-BSD Testing] Follow-up on "Upgrade from 8.1 to 8.2-RC2-x64 Failed"

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 14:00:09 PST 2011

@ Arthur --
Thanks for the offer, but I do not have that problem.  I created a bootable
USB stick using HP's utility program and added the flash program & updates
to firmware & BIOS to the USB.

@ Kris --

Since the last report and first follow-up to an upgrade from 8.1-RELEASE-x64
to 8.2-RC2-x64 failing on HP xw8200, dual-Xeon, 4GB, LSI SCSI disk
interface, I have (thanks to Arthur's suggestions):

(1) confirmed that the computer BIOS is as up-to-date as it can be
(2) updated the firmware and BIOS for the LSI interface.
(3)  tested the upgrade over PCBSD 8.1 on a second HP xw8200 (which failed
too)

Notwithstanding the upgrades, both machines had a kernel panic and a reboot
during the "removing old files" section of the upgrade program.  I am not
able to provide any further information on the kernel panic other than the
photo of the screen attached to my previous email.  The only real difference
between the two testing computers is the video cards.  The 1st xw8200 had an
nVidia Geforce 9400GT w/ 1024 Mb and the second computer had an nVidia
Quadro FX3500 w/ 256 Mb)

The common-but-unique-thing about both these failed machines is the SCSI
interface and disks, which is why I referenced the interface in my machine
details.  I successfully installed PCBSD 8.2-STABLE, and upgrades for
8.2-RC1 and 8.2-RC2  on a slightly newer computers (HP xw9400) with LSI
combo SCSI/SATA interface, but these computers used only SATA disks.  On the
other hand, I wonder how can SCSI hardware be the problem because I think
FreeBSD has always loved SCSI.

The LSI adapter info from dmesg:  mpt0: <LSILogic 1030 Ultra4 Adapter> port
0x5000-0x50ff mem 0xf3000000-0xf30fffff,0xf3100000-0xf31fffff irq 30 at
device 5.0 on pci2,

Tonight, I will try a "fresh install" on machine #2, which I expect to go
well.  I will hold off on messing with machine #1 in case Kris wants me to
test anything.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio