[PC-BSD Testing] PCBSD 8.2-RC2-x64 panic upgrading from 8.1-RELEASE

Ian Robinson fitchkendall at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 05:51:03 PST 2011

3.  Upgrade install over 8.1-RELEASE -  failed, but do not know why.
Installer started O.K., but returned to find the system had rebooted and
restarted the installer. . . . .

======== Follow-up re: upgrade over 8.1 failed ===

The target system was HP xw8200 dual-Xeon @ 3.4 GHz, 4 Gb. RAM, Nvidia
9400GT, dual-booting w/ primary boot device being an LSi SCSI disk interface
w/ da0s1 as windows disk and da1s1 as the 8.1 install.  Additionally it has
two IDE drives attached as ad0 and ad1 which are data only formatted
UFS+S.   The system functioned well  under PCBSD 8.1.

The abort-and-reboot problem is 100% repeatable.  It begins about three
minutes into the install while "cleaning up old files" is in progress and
then reboots.  I have attached a screenshot of the panic screen.  Sorry I
could not capture everything -- not enough lines on the display.

Please advise if you would like me to try anything before I attempt a fresh
install.

Ian Robinson
Salem, Ohio